Volunteer Position Description
Recruiter: GIFTED KIDS CHRISTIAN ACADEMY
Title: Teacher Assistant
Location: Carrefour bloc M, Makepe, Douala, Cameroon
Salary: N/A (volunteer)
Job level: experienced
Hours: full time and part time
Contract: temporal/ permanent
School Director: Dr Annie Smith
Hours: 5 days a week from 7:30 am - 3:00 pm
Gifted Kids Christian Academy (established on 2013) is a Christian based day care, nursery and primary school situated in Douala in the littoral region of Cameroon. We aspires to be nothing short of excellent in all aspects of school life and we are determined to nurture and produce a generation that contributes positively to the wider community.
The school is seeking to appoint a number of self-motivated, dynamic and confident volunteers who can support the classroom teacher to facilitate the active participation of children in the academic and social activities of the school.
Our aim is to have a diverse and inclusive workforce where people are respected for who they are. We embrace and celebrate cultural diversity in the workplace and value the strengths it brings us as an organisation.
We can offer successful applicants with the opportunity to work towards a teaching assistant qualification.
Minimum one term (Sept – Dec 2017). Maximum one year (Sept 2017 – June 2018).
- Support for children
Under the direction of the teacher:
- providing support to children with mathematics, reading and writing on an individual, class or small group basis
- carry out pre-determined tasks and / or perform general classroom duties.
- establish and maintain supportive relationships with individual pupils or small groups to ensure they understand and can achieve the tasks.
- support inclusion in the classroom, ensuring all pupils feel involved with tasks and activities
- giving extra help to children with special needs or those for whom English is not their first language
- helping to develop programmes of learning activities and adapting appropriate materials
- motivating and encouraging pupils
- helping with school events, trips and activities
- Support for the curriculum
Under the direction of the teacher, support the school curriculum, including literacy and numeracy activities.
- Support for the teacher
- Provide information to help the class teacher plan appropriate work programmes.
- Help to prepare the learning environment for use.
- Undertake support activities for the teacher as required, e.g. preparation of materials, mounting displays.
- Ensure that information relating to a child’s safety is shared effectively and sensitively with the class teacher.
- Support for the school
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with staff.
- Contribute to the maintenance of a safe and healthy environment.
- Provide support for school events, e.g. school plays, events.
- Commit to promoting and safeguarding the welfare of all children.
We are looking for volunteers who:
- Have Christian values
- Committed to working with children and their families
- Has good interpersonal skills and the ability to support colleagues
- Has clear and good level of spoken and written English
- A positive role model.
- A confident user of IT software
- Respectful of the school’s ethos
- Pro-active, punctual, enthusiastic, energetic, adaptable, patient
- Ability to multi task